PCMD - M. PHIL., M. PHIL. LEADING TO PH.D., PH.D. ADMISSION PROGRAM – 2012 IN MOLECULAR MEDICINE
For admission details, Kindly visit the website of University of Karachi
COURSE CONTENTS FOR ENTRANCE EXAM IN MOLECULAR MEDICINE
MOLECULAR BIOLOGY (30%)
A. Gene Expression
- RNA processing
B. Gene Regulation
- Positive and negative control of the operon
- Promoter recognition by RNA polymerases
- Attenuation and anti termination
A. Biochemical Calculations
- Calculations: Preparation of reagents, buffers etc.
- Problems involving concentration expressions (molarity, percent and normality)
B. Structural Biology: Structure, Assembly, Organization, and Dynamics
- Small molecules (amino acids, monosaccharides, nucleotides and fatty acids)
- Macromolecules (nucleic acids, polysaccharides, proteins, and complex lipids)
C. Catalysis and Binding
- Basics of enzyme-substrate reaction, kinetics and mechanism.
D. Major Metabolic Pathways
- Synthesis and degradation of macromolecules (Proteins, Nucleic Acids, Carbohydrates)
- Regulation and Integration of Metabolism
- Mendelian inheritance,
- Chromatin structure and Chromosomes,
- Mitosis and Meiosis,
- Introns and Exons,
- Single copy and Repetitive DNA
A. Cell Physiology
- Cell Membrane.
B. Basics of Tissue Physiology
C. Basics of Nervous System Physiology
D. Basics of Endocrine System
E. Basics of Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Digestive and Urinogenital Systems
Basic Pharmacological aspects
- Definition and branches of Pharmacology
- Dosage forms
- Routes of drug administration
- Pharmacodynamics/ Drug-Receptor interaction
> Procaryotic microorganisms and their classifications.
> Gram positive and Gram negative, and their diseases.
> Mycobacteria, spirochetes, mycoplasma and Rickettsiae and their diseases.
> Chlamydia, protozoa, viruses and malaria parasites and their diseases.
> Major components, characteristics and functions of the immune system.
> Types of immune mechanisms (Innate vs. adaptive, cellular vs. humoral)
> Immunological disorders (hypersensitivity, autoimmunity and immunodeficiency etc)